Q.

Sx: severe rectal bleeding with blood clots, constipation, cramping in lower ab after eating, occasional upper ab pain.

Related Topics: Blood Clot, Constipation, Rectum, Pain

A.
Well, this certainly warrants being checked out by a medical professional. I mean, everyone goes through occasional constipation, cramping, and even some bright red blood in the toilet (I'm talking about a hemorrhoid flare-up), but your symptoms sound more severe than usual. Severe rectal bleeding with clots? Yeah, I'd get that checked out.

It's probably not an emergency situation, but I'd put a call in to my primary care provider for an appointment. Meanwhile, it would help your health care provider if you'd keep a log of what you eat, when you eat it, and how your bowels respond. Also record dates and times of bowel movements, consistency, and how much blood you perceive (or number of clots, if you can count them individually). You also might take a picture with your cell phone, so you can show your doctor exactly what's happening with your bowel movements.

I hope you get this resolved soon, and it's nothing more than hemorrhoids!