Q.

what is the difference between a class 1 and class 2 narcotic?

Related Topics: Narcotic

A.
In the United States, narcotics are classified by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) into different "schedules" based on several criteria.

Schedule I substances are defined as drugs with no known medical application and a high potential for abuse. Schedule I substances include narcotics like cocaine and heroin. Interestingly, however, marijuana also is classified as a Schedule I substance. It remains to be seen if this will change, as some states have voted to legalize marijuana and claim it has medicinal properties.

Schedule II substances include narcotics that are deemed to have therapeutic benefits yet maintain a high potential for abuse. These include morphine, fentanyl, and even "mixed amphetamine salts" (the brand name Adderall).

So, basically, the difference between Schedule I substances and Schedule II is simply in whether or not a drug is deemed to have a valid medical application.

Hope that clears things up for you!

A.

In the U.S., prescription drugs are categorized through the Controlled Substances Act which places drugs into classes or schedules according to the government’s view of potential for abuse. 

Schedule 1 drugs are also referred to as class 1 drugs. Drugs that fall under schedule 1 classification are illicit or illegal drugs have no medicinal purpose or use, have an increased potential for abuse and if the drug poses a safety issue.

Narcotics such as LSD, Heroin and Cocaine are all Schedule 1 drugs and although two states (Colorado and Washington) have legalized it and other states allow use for medicinal purposes, Marijuana is also still classified as a Schedule 1 drug.

Schedule 2 drugs have acceptable medical use and importance, an increased potential for dependency, abuse and severe addiction. Schedule 2 includes opiates with high dose Codeine, Opium, Morphine, OxyCodone and Fentanyl as well as Barbiturates and Methamphetamine.

Schedule 2 drugs also include the ADHD drug Adderall. The primary difference between a Schedule 1 and a Schedule 2 drug is whether there is a valid medical purpose for the drug.

Gallus Detox Center is a private inpatient detox facility that specializes in IV therapy medical detox. If you have questions about our facility or detox method, please call us at 855-338-6929.