Q.

Am I having a panic attack?

I am taking a group counseling course and have been participating in group therapy.  I have noticed that after class, I feel some sort of way,  Can't shake this feeling of nervousness, just all out of sorts. I have not been able to open up in the class, although I want to.

Related Topics: Panic Attack, Nervousness

A.
I'm sorry you're having these episodes of nervousness. Based on your description, they don't exactly sound like a panic attack, which is typically very dramatic and involves a racing heart, shortness of breath, and sometimes even chest pain.

You say you're taking a course in group counseling. Presumably this is under the direction of a teacher? If you feel you can confide in your instructor, why not get his or her take on the symptoms you're describing. They may be perfectly normal. Or, perhaps you could discuss your symptoms with the group therapy leader. Again, he or she might be able to help you understand what's going on and how to overcome it.

You also could consider seeing a private therapist about this. If you're a college student, you may be able to take advantage of a student behavioral health center.

I wish you all the best!