Q.

can what you eat the day before a cholesterol blood test skew the results?

I went out to eat the day before my blood test and had an Irish BLT and french fries and didn't eat a very healthy dinner either.  My cholesterol 2 years ago was under 200, my diet habits have not changed much other than the occasional slide like mentioned above.  So my total cholesterol was 232 - my HDL is 83 and my LDL is 118.  My doctor did not give me the number for triglicerides... Just curious if what was eaten could skew the numbers.

thank you.

A.

The good news is your HDL is nice and high and that is protective against heart disease.  It could be possible that what you ate the day before affected your LDL levels, but by how much is hard to say. It is generally recommended to consume your usual diet for 2 weeks before testing.  If it is bothering you, get re-tested after eating your normal diet.  For more on cholesterol levels, see this WebMD article.