Q.

Is modified corn starch bad for you?

I like white tea, and by the chance I looked at the ingredients and everything seemed normal except for the modified corn starch in it. So is modified corn starch unhealthy(bad) for you?

Related Topics: Tea

A.

Modified cornstarch is starch that is physically/chemically treated to change its properties and is mainly used as a thickening agent, stabilizer or emulsifier in various food products (as a food additiive and not for taste/nutrition). There are many different types of these starches around and they are considered safe.  From a nutrition perspective, this ingredient is harmless and not an issue.  But if you are a purist, and prefer natural, unadulterated food and beverages, than you might choose to avoid it.