Q.

can you drive with narcolepsy

Related Topics: Narcolepsy

A.
If you have been officially diagnosed with narcolepsy and aren't being treated, then no, you probably shouldn't be driving.

However, a lot of people claim to have narcolepsy when they do not. Narcolepsy is not just feeling sleepy from time to time or dozing off at the wheel of a car. Narcolepsy involves several symptoms, including sudden loss of muscle control, hallucinations, and sleep paralysis -- among others.

Only a doctor can positively diagnose narcolepsy. Some of the symptoms of narcolepsy can be treated with medications. A health care professional will advise the person with narcolepsy if it is safe for them to drive.

I hope this helps!

A.

I have mild narcolepsy and my solution to the problem of sleep attacks while

driving is to think about (i.e. ANTICIPATE) what I'll be doing at my destination. This seems to (re)engage the prefrontal cortex and what used to be called the "reticular activating sysem" in the midbrain and brainstem, and has worked extraordinarily well.

Next Question: