Are there physical symptoms for overwhelming guilt?

If I've done something I'm not proud of, I have an urge to confess.  However, I may be scared to confess.  I start feeling very stressed, and I get a sick feeling in my stomach. Is that just an emotional change or is that a physical symptom in my body? Are there physical symptoms?

Related Topics: Stress, Stomach, Fear

It's definitely possible to experience real, physical symptoms from emotions. So, yes, that sick feeling in the stomach could be a true physical symptom of your guilty feelings.

Stress can produce many physical symptoms, from a racing heart to dermatitis. Some people's bodies are very sensitive to emotion and express those emotions through physical symptoms.

I'm sorry you're going through this and suggest you get counseling to help relieve both your feelings of guilt and the physical symptoms those feelings are causing.

Best wishes to you!