Q.

CT revealed lesions in white brain matter. Doctor says not to worry about it. I'm 51. Should I get a 2nd opinion?

CT ordered cuz doc thought I may have suffered mini-stroke.  Says no vessels ruptured so not a problem.  Are lesions common in someone my age who is healthy?

Related Topics: Stroke, Brain

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
Well, as the patient, you're always entitled to additional opinions about test results. So, getting a second opinion in this case is a judgment call on your part. A second doctor probably could simply look at the CT films, so you could get another opinion without having to be re-examined. Your insurance may not pay for this, however.

That said, I tend to trust my doctor. If your doctor said not to worry about this, then personally I'd probably let it go. White matter lesions can sound scary, and indeed they can be indicative of various scary diseases, such as multiple sclerosis or dementia. But those diseases don't exist in a vacuum. If you had multiple sclerosis, for example, you'd have physical symptoms.

Studies do show that white matter brain lesions may be a normal condition of aging. I'm not sure the subject has been studied enough to say positively, but certainly brain scans of older people with no symptoms of disease have shown white matter lesions.

Doc says don't worry, so my advice is "don't worry." Hope this helps set your mind at ease!

A.

i am 58 yrs old and i was diagnosed with ms 2 yrs ago i have lesions in the white matter  both periventricular and subcortial. dr order lumbar puch and found in my spinal fluid coating from nerve dymilation they said i have ms