Q.

what vitamins / minerals (otc) can i take to improve my memory I had a stroke in september that effected only my speech

I had a blood clot to the left side of the brain. However I had some memory loss before the stroke

Margaret       

A.

There is some evidence that certain supplements may play a role in improving memory but more science is needed. The most promising supplements are ginko biloba, omega-3 (fish oil), vitamin E, and ginseng and acetyl-L-carnitine. This WebMD article summarizes the research as well as noting precautions such as checking in with your healthcare provider.

There are things you can do to help keep your memory sharp beyond supplementing including regular exercise, brain exercise (reading/keeping mind active) adequate sleep and a healthy diet.