Q.

Is it normal to constantly become hungry, yet become full from eating very little? What does this sound like?

Ever since I started strength training, my appetite is out of control. I have to eat something almost every hour to avoid that feeling of starvation in my stomach. And yet when I choose to eat, it takes very little to satisfy my appetite. I've never felt so confused about hunger in my life.

What can I do so that I can feel full for more than an hour at a time, and not have to worry about eating over a half dozen times a day? In the same vein, how can I still feel hungry after a few bites?

Related Topics: Stomach, Vein, Hunger, Confusion

A.

I'm not sure how you ate or exercised before strength training, but now that you have made a change and are more hungry, it's time to put more thought into your meals.  You want to eat 3 balanced meals every day that contain 3-5 food groups at each meal (whole grain, lean protein, fruit, vegetable, dairy and healthy fat).  If you are hungry in between meals, have a snack with 2-3 food groups (e.g., apple with peanut butter, yogurt with nuts, cheese stick with whole grain crackers).  So if you are used to having some cereal in the morning, that may no longer be enough to keep you going.  Adding a lean protein source and more filling carbs like oatmeal along with chopped fruit and nuts will stick with you longer.  Protein (eggs, lean meat, nuts/seeds, soy, fish, cheese) and fiber-rich foods (frutis, veggies, whole grains and beans) are the most filling and will keep hunger away longer.  For more on what to eat before, during and after exercise, see this article.

if you find that after taking a couple of bites of food, you feel really full, see your healthcare provider to make sure there is nothing else going on.