Q.

Should I be worried if my baby weighs more than usual for his getstational age?

I am 17 and a half weeks pregnant and had my level 2 ultrasound done.  I was told my son weighs 9 oz...is that big for his gestational age? 

Related Topics: Pregnancy, Ultrasound, Baby

A.

Ultrasounds help health professionals estimate weight but it is impossible to be precise with weight until the baby is born.  Your healthcare provider will measure baby's growth in a variety of ways to make sure everything is on track and should alert you if it is not.  For example, they will measure the size of the head and the length of the bones on ultrasounds, monitor your weight and size.  It is best to address growth concerns with your doctor who is following your case closely.  See this article for more details of growth during the second trimester of pregnancy.  Congrats on your pregnancy!