Q.

What does it mean when your blood sugar drops to 57?

my grandmother has type 2 diabetes and she was wondering what a reading of 57 is.

Related Topics: Type 2 Diabetes, Blood Sugar

A.

That is a low blood sugar reading.  The American Diabetes Association recommends  70-180mg/dl for most nonpregnant adults with diabetes. Before meals it's 70-130mg/dl and 180mg/dl or less after meals. More or less blood sugar levels may be recommended based on individual circumstances. If your grandmother continues to experience low blood sugars, she should see her healthcare provider. She may need changes in the medications she is taking.  For more on managing blood sugars, see this WebMD article.