Q.

While taking amoxicillin trihydrate can I drink?

Related Topics: Drinking, Amoxicillin

A.
The appropriate answer for me to give is this: You shouldn't drink while taking a prescription medication, including antibiotics. Some medical professionals feel any drinking at all is unhealthy, though I am not in that camp.

While I certainly would never encourage someone to drink while taking an antibiotic, the truth is studies show alcohol consumption does not reduce the effectiveness of most antibiotics. However, combining alcohol with antibiotics like penicillin can increase the severity of side effects, such as drowsiness, dizziness, and nausea.

A few antibiotics must NEVER be taken with alcohol. These are: metronidazole (Flagyl), trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim), and tinidazole (Tindamax). Combining these antibiotics with alcohol can cause serious, severe side effects, including tachycardia (racing heart).

By the way, when it comes to drinking and antibiotics, alcohol is alcohol. In other words, it doesn't matter if you're drinking a beer or a shot of tequila. To the body, all alcohol is created equal.

Your best bet is to lay off the booze until the antibiotics are finished. And don't forget to take ALL of the penicillin you were prescribed. Don't quit taking it if you start to feel better before finishing the course.

Hope this helps!