Q.

I am getting dizzy when I eat sugar and my legs also feel numb.

I am just under 5'7 and weigh 130 lbs. I am 18 and just came to college and I have had really bad allergies. I go to Washington State University in Pullman, WA. I have also been sick the majority of the time I've been here. I have had multiple colds and had the flu once. I have been here since august and my eating habits have gotten worse but I haven't gained weight. I am starting to feel dizzy when I eat sugary foods and my legs sometimes feel numb. I also have to urinate frequently. 

Related Topics: Urination, Leg, Dizziness, Food, Weight Gain

A.

I am not a doctor but wanted to respond to the nutritional aspects.  Some of the symptoms you list, such as frequent urination, are symtpoms of type 1 diabetes. I'm not saying you have it but it is worth being checked out.  As for the dizzy feelings after sugar it's hard to say.  I would aim to eat balanced meals with a protein, healthy fat, whole grains and fruits and vegetables.  If you eat sugar do so after a balanced meal or snack.  Eating sugary foods on an empty stomach may contribute to the dizzy feelings.

The best possible thing to do is get a physical that includes lab work to make sure everything is okay.  In the meantime, focus on taking care of yourself by eating well and getting sleep.