Q.

Ear aches and hard time hearing

For about two weeks I have struggled to hear people when they are talking and I am having pain in both my ears. Doctor said I have perfect hearing and nothing wrong with ear drums. Said I have tmj be auaw of grinding teeth but I wear a night guard. What else could it be?
Related Topics: Ears, Eardrum, Tooth, Pain, Ear Drum

A.

If your doctor was not able to find a reason for your ear pain and hearing changes, then you need to see an ENT specialist for a higher-level examination. TMJ and bruxism (grinding the teeth) doesn't cause hearing loss, but it can cause ear pain. Many dentists now specialize in TMJ disorders, so finding one would be quite helpful in tracking down the reasons.

Ear pain can be caused by infection or referred pain from other head and neck areas, like your throat, lymph nodes, salivary glands, cervical spine, tonsils (if you have them), sinuses, and nerve disorders.Just because one doctor could not find a cause, does not mean a second medical provider, like an ENT, will have the same conclusion.