Q.

can eating chalk harm my baby or stop me from getting pregnant?

Related Topics: Pregnancy, Baby

A.
This is a very interesting question that makes me wonder if you're from the Piedmont area of Georgia, where chalk eating is not uncommon among African American women.

Probably the most concerning aspect of chalk eating, in terms of pregnancy, is the possibility of becoming anemic. Anemia is a condition that occurs when your blood lacks enough red blood cells to carry oxygen. Being pregnant makes a woman more susceptible to anemia, as it is, let alone adding in chalk eating to possibly make you even more susceptible. Some anemias can be caused by Vitamin B deficiencies, including folate (folic acid), which could indeed harm a fetus. I don't know if chalk eating contributes to Vitamin B deficiency anemias or not.

Another side effect of chalk eating is constipation. While this won't affect your chances of conceiving, constipation can make pregnancy more uncomfortable than it needs to be.

Short answer: If you're trying to conceive or are already pregnant, give up the chalk eating at least until after your baby arrives.

Best wishes to you!