Q.

My daughter has a lump on the right side of her neck. It feels hard and is tender.

If you make a circle with your thumb and pointing finger, it is about that size. It is literally on the side of her neck, not where I would think glands are.  It is noticable without touching it. Without insurance she is reluctant to go to the doctor, but I'm concerned.

Related Topics: Finger, Neck, Thumb, Tenderness, Insurance

A.
I certainly understand her reluctance to seek medical attention when she doesn't have insurance. Many communities offer free or low-cost clinics to people who are uninsured. Maybe you can help her find one of these.

I think your daughter needs to get this checked out. It may be completely benign, such as a lipoma (a fatty non-cancerous tumor). But then again, it could be something more serious. Certainly, if your daughter has a fever or is experiencing unintended weight loss, she needs to be checked out as soon as possible.

You might encourage your daughter, also, by reminding her the cost of an office visit is substantially less than the cost of an emergency room visit, so why put off getting this thing looked at?

I wish your daughter all the best!