Q.

Can the tube that goes in your ear fall into the ear? If it can what should I do?

Related Topics: Ears

A.
Yes, that is possible, but not likely. If it does fall "in" instead falling "out", it will need to be retrieved by the ENT. They are easy to find since they will show up on x-ray, and can be seen with a microscopic otoscope. It doesn't have any place to go, so it can be easily found. For the vast majority of tubes, the body will push the tube out into the ear canal (called extrication), where it will just naturally fall out of the ear canal when it is good and ready. In some cases, where the tubes become embedded in sticky, thick wax, a medical provider may have to remove it.

An extricated tube can also fall out and no one will ever find it. It will get lost in the bed sheets or sucked up into a vacuum cleaner. You will just be informed that the tube is no longer in the ear.