Health & Sex

Q.

me and my ex boyfriend now have the herpes virus, should we still use a condom if we have sex with each other?

we have been having sex and not using a condom since we both have herpes. i'v had it for quite some time and he just got exposed . NEED ANSWER, DONT WANT TO MAKE MATTERS ANY WORSE.  

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
Some facts:

1. Herpes is not the only STD out there.
2. Condoms protect against other STDs, like Chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, etc.
3. Both you and your boyfriend have had previous partners. It doesn't take much for either one of your to stray (even though you may pledge monogamy). All it takes is a bad argument sometimes...
4. Condoms are cheap.

I vote that you continue to use condoms until both of you are 100% committed to an honest, permanent relationship, and you are 100% sure than neither one of you has any other type of latent STD that has not reared its ugly head.

A.

THIS IS MY ?. IN ANSWER TO THE MD. I GOT THE HERPES VIRUS WAY, BEFORE I MET HIM. RECENTLY WE BOTH BEEN TESTED NEG, AND NO OTHER DISEASES HAS REARED ITS UGLY HEAD, WE MAY NOT ALSO AGREE, BUT RUNNING TO SOMEONE IS NOT SOMETHING TO DO. STAY COMMITED IS WHAT IT ALL ABOUT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTEMPT @ ANSWERING MY ?

Post Your AnswerCancel

While writing your answer, you may find these tips helpful:

• Please try to keep your answer short and to the point. Be sure the answer is specific to the question asked.
  • To help protect your privacy, you should never submit any question or answer that includes personal information such as a name, phone number, email address, or mailing address.
  • Have a reference? Please include it to support your answer.

Today on WebMD

flowers behind back
Article
Upset woman sitting on bed
Article

couple kissing
Article
Exercises for Better Sex
Video

Life Cycle of a Penis
Article
HIV Myth Facts
Slideshow

How Healthy is Your Sex Life
Quiz
Couple in bed
Video

6 Tips For Teens
Article
Close-up of young man
Article

screening tests for men
Slideshow
HPV Vaccine Future
Article

Important: The opinions expressed in WebMD User-generated content areas like communities, reviews, ratings, blogs, or WebMD Answers are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. These opinions do not represent the opinions of WebMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a WebMD physician or any member of the WebMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. Some of these opinions may contain information about treatments or uses of drug products that have not been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider WebMD User-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on WebMD. You should always speak with your doctor before you start, stop, or change any prescribed part of your care plan or treatment. WebMD understands that reading individual, real-life experiences can be a helpful resource, but it is never a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from a qualified health care provider. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

URAC: Accredited Health Web Site HONcode Seal AdChoices