Q.

I have raw sore on eye. Using antibiotic gel for two weeks. Still not better.

Eyes were burning and blurry.  Felt like something in my eyes all the time.  Eye doctor found raw sore on right eye.  Said glands in left eye are blocked causing dry eye.  I have been putting antibiotic Erythromycin gel into the eye for two weeks and it is still not better.  I am beginning to worry.  Does this cause blindness?

Related Topics: Blindness, Eyes, Antibiotic

A.
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I'd be worried, too.

It's not possible to tell from the information you provided if your eye doctor believes the raw sore on your eye is due to the dry eyeball rubbing on the eyelid (in other words, sort of like a rug burn) or is caused by something else entirely.

Usually, small corneal abrasions (that is, a spot on the surface of the eyball that has been scratched or rubbed) heal up within a couple of days. Because yours has not, I would suggest going back to the doctor for some follow-up care.

Corneal abrasions, by themselves, don't usually cause blindness. I would suggest you ask your doctor what the potential outcomes are for your particular situation. He or she is in the best position to tell you what to expect.

I hope you feel better soon!