My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Ask Your Question

WebMD Answers

120 Characters remaining
120 Characters remaining
  • First, try and keep your question as short as possible.
  • Include specific words that will help us identify questions that may already have your answer.
  • If you don't find your answer, you can post your question to WebMD Experts and Contributors.


Posted: | Report This Report Question |

I have a slight, dull pain below my right rib cage ( a 2 on a scale of 1-10). I have had it for 3 weeks.

I have no unexplained weight loss and the rest of my bodily functions are working just fine.

Related Topics: Ribcage, Pain, Weight Loss

Answers From Experts & Organizations (1)

General Medicine
1,458 Answers
65,580 Helpful Votes
Well, that sounds unpleasant. Nothing like a little nagging pain to ruin one's day.

The problem is a lot of conditions could cause the pain you're describing. Anything from gallstones to a pulled muscle. If it's bothering you enough, your best bet is to get an exam from your primary care provider. He or she can try to rule out anything serious.

If you spike a fever, that's an entirely different matter. In that case, you'd want to seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, you might want to try to figure out if anything specifically aggravates the pain or causes it to flare up. Exercise? Eating? Having a bowel movement? Drinking alcohol? These could all be important clues to help your medical provider diagnose the problem.

Feel better!

This answer should not be considered medical advice...down arrowThis answer should not be considered medical advice and should not take the place of a doctor’s visit. Please see the bottom of the page for more information or visit our Terms and Conditions.up arrow

| Report This Report Answer

Was this helpful?


Thanks for your feedback.

74 of 145 found this helpful