What is the normal gallbladder ejection fraction range?

I have been told mine is low following a HIDA scan, but I have no gallstones.

Related Topics: Gallstone, Gallbladder
Best Answer 
Most Helpful Answer
The normal gallbladder ejection fraction ranges from 35% to 75%.

If you're having pain that suggests gallstones but no stones are present, this is called acalculous biliary pain (ABP). "Acalculous" simply means "no stones," and "biliary" means related to bile, bile ducts and systems.

Gallbladder ejection fraction testing is one measure used to diagnose ABP. If you suffer from ABP, you have at least a couple of options. Because biliary pain usually is intermittent and often seems to come on after eating fatty foods, you can try avoiding fatty foods to see if this helps the pain go away.

Another option is removal of the gallbladder (cholecystectomy), but this is somewhat controversial. Some tests show people with ABP benefit from cholecystectomy, but the trouble is there aren't really enough tests to reach a definitive conclusion about that.

Talk things over with your health care provider to see what he or she recommends, and go from there.

I hope you feel better!