Q.

Can a low ferritin level cause hair loss and heart palpitations in women? My ferritin level is at 12.

Every time I shower or blow dry my hair, I am losing tons of hair! I can barely cover my scalp at crown of my head. After researching I found that ferritin levels in women should be around 70. I have also been experiencing an increased heart rate since August. I went to cardiologist and he said my heart was healthy. My thyroid is fine. Started taking iron supplements (45 mg), 3000 mbg biotin pills and using shampoo that removes DHT from hair within the last week, but have seen no difference.

Related Topics: Hair, Head, Heart, Scalp, Thyroid

A.

There is some research to show that anemia is associated with hair loss but not all studies agree.  In fact, a 2010 study in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology showed no difference.  It's best to work with your healthcare provider on optimal ferritin levels and supplementation.  You also want to rule out other potential issues related to hormonal or skin changes.  Changes such as pregnancy, childbirth and menopause can increase hair loss.

When it comes to nutrition, protein and adequate calories play an important role in hair growth so including good protein sources at most meals may help (lean meats, eggs, fish, beans and dairy) as does eating balanced meals throughout the day. This WebMD article provides more information on Eating Right to Keep Hair Healthy.