Q.

what does it mean if my blood glucose is 81 but my Hemoglobin A1c is 5.7? I am 5'7.5", 140lb

I have never been diagnosed with Diabetes but a maternal Uncle died from complications of diabetes.

Related Topics: Diabetes

WebMD
A.

Based on a set of criteria, a HgA1c level between 5.7-6.4% is prediabetes. This means that there's an increased risk for developing overt diabetes.

A person with prediabetes may have a normal blood sugar but only because their body has compensated for this with an increase in the amount of insulin produced. As prediabetes progresses, the overproduction of insulin just won't be enough to compensate for high sugars and they become overtly abnormal and elevated.

People with type 2 diabetes can have normal blood sugars but the metabolic abnormalities that occur will continue: Insulin will continue to be produced in excess amounts. At some point it fails. And having either prediabetes or diabetes means your risk of heart disease is significantly above normal.

You should modify the risks that you have: improved nutrition with calorie restriction and more fruits and veggies, manage excess weight, look for stress reduction methods and make good sleep a priority.

Seek help from a diabetes team. There are tons of information online and numerous organizations that help.