Q.

I am 86. I survived congestive heart failure. How much exercise should I expect to undertake? Heart throbs in my neck.

In early July I was living independently and getting good exercise every day.  Since being hospitalized with congestive heart failure in mid-July  I am too weak to look after myself.  I want to know how much exercise I should  do and what are the risks of strengthening myself.  My neck shows each beat of my heart and it is obvious to my visitors and myself.

I am afraid to walk very much because I don't want to kill myself but feel I should be doing something.
Thank you for your time.

A.
Thank you for reaching out with this question. It's an important one for others your age who have your symptoms.

My advice? Check with your doctor before doing any exercise at all, even walking for exercise. He or she can give you specific instructions for what type of exercise(s) to do, for how long, and at what intensity. If you decide to walk anyway (hey, I know how you 86 year olds are!), please have someone with you at all times. Because of your weakness, I have a real concern about your falling and breaking a hip.

Right now, you may need to focus more on diet than on exercising, especially since you say you feel extremely weak.

I salute you for being a survivor and wish you many more healthful years! You inspire me.