Q.

Can camphor phenique cream applied to the eye ball damage the eye ball?

Camphor phenique cream was mistaken for a tube of prescribed eye ointment and placed in the eye.  It was washed out as soon as the pain started and medical attention was sought.  However, it feels like something is under the eyelid and it is still quite red and swollen and vision is blurry.  I'm concerned I have chemically burned my eye and my vision will be impaired.

Related Topics: Burn, Eyes, Eyeball, Eyelid, Vision

A.
I'm sorry you're going through this. It's not uncommon to mistake one medication for another. It happens to the best of us.

It sounds like you did everything right. You flushed your eye and sought medical attention. It would not be uncommon for you to have a dry, swollen feeling in the lower lid after placing campho-phenique in the eye. You don't say how long ago this happened. It's possible the situation will clear up. You can continue lubricating the eye with plain saline eye drops such as "Nature's Tears" brand, Bausch & Lomb brand saline drops for sensitive eyes, or any generic brand of sterile saline solution. Do not use plain tap water, as this will only irritate the eye further.

If the problem doesn't get better within a week of the time you sought medical attention, you might make an appointment with an ophthalmologist (a medical doctor who treats eye problems) or your primary care provider to get re-evaluated.

I hope you feel better soon!