Q.

How do I stop picking my hair out? And, what kind of medication could I use to grow my hair back?

I can't wear my hair down at all, and it is always wore in a bun on the left side of my head. This condition has made me very depressed and sometimes i'm so depressed that i can't give my children and husband the attention that they deserve.  I wasn't stressed out at all, the new appearance that I had was the only thing that stressed me out because I have to deal with fixing my hair, and I always have a ton of hair spray in my hair. I still pick my hair out and I don;t know what to do.

Related Topics: Stress, Hair, Head

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. I hope you seek treatment for your depression and other symptoms.

Perhaps you'll find comfort in knowing there is a name for the condition you describe. The compulsive urge to pull your hair out is called "trichotillomania." This condition frequently goes hand-in-hand with depression or anxiety.

I hope you will be happy to learn this condition is treatable. I urge you to find a mental health provider who can help treat your depression and your hair-pulling. It's frequently necessary to see several mental health professionals before you find "the right one," the person you click with, the one who understands you, and the one who is the "right fit" for you. So don't give up if the first person you see doesn't seem to be helpful. Keep trying.

Most health insurance plans now cover behavioral health treatment at the same level as medical health treatment. If you are unable to afford treatment, please contact your local branch of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) or a crisis hotline. Even though you may not be in crisis, the hotline can provide you with resources to help you.

I wish you all the best!