Q.

Are eye vitamins such as I caps for age related eye disease beneficial?

I am currently receiving injections in my eye due to macular degeneration. Taking eye vitamins at this time seems rediculious to me. Can you give me any information about this?

A.
I'm sorry you're going through this, but it sounds like you're receiving appropriate treatment for your age-related macular degeneration.

In answer to your question, there is some evidence that supplements labeled specifically for eye problems are effective in helping treat conditions like AMD. Lutein, specifically, has been studied for its effectiveness in macular degeneration, though results are still considered inconclusive. This is simply because enough studies have not been done.

If your ophthalmologist (eye doctor) has recommended you take a specific vitamin supplement for your eyes, then I suggest you follow this recommendation. If your sight is failing due to AMD, you want to take every opportunity to stop the disease in its tracks.

Hope this helps!