Q.

Will a fluid diet of 1-2weeks help eczema?

Ive suffered all my life from eczema in my elbow creases but in the past year stress has caused it to spread all over my arms and onto my shoulders, i was recomended to try a fluid diet and i was wondering if that would help to clear it enough to give the cream a chance to really help because im in a lot of pain and its really itchy! thank you,
Hannah

Related Topics: Stress, Arm, Elbow, Shoulder, Diet

A.
A fluid diet for eczema? Never heard of it as part of any treatment. Eczema is genetically-dry skin, so if you are having an exacerbation or worsening of your symptoms, you may need a change in treatment.
  • The mainstay of eczema management is moisturization, so find a good moisturizing cream that is free of perfumes.
  • Topical steroid creams are very helpful, but the best ones require a prescription. Call your medical provider.
  • Control itching with antihistamines, assuming you can take this type of medication. Please avoid scratching and digging at these areas.
  • Open, eczematous skin can become secondarily infected, so if you think your eczema is infected, you will need to consult your medical provider for treatment; usually antibiotics

Eczema is usually with you for life, so finding the right combination of medications and supportive treatments is important. I don't think a fluid diet for two weeks is going to help in any way.