Q.

Diagnosed with IBS that goes back and forth between Diarrhea and constipation what should i eat and not eat?

Related Topics: Constipation, Diarrhea

A.

I wish there was an easy diet answer for IBS sufferers, but you are going to have to do some investigative work to find what and how much of certain foods you have trouble tolerating.  That being said, most people with IBS have problems with greasy foods, spicy foods, caffeine-containing beverages (coffee and tea) and alcohol.  Certain foods can increase gastrointestinal discomfort when eaten in large amounts such as beans, cabbage, cauliflower, peas and Brussels sprouts.  Most IBS sufferers do better with smaller, frequent meals (5-6 times daily) instead of big meals less frequently (2-3 big meals).

I recommend you see registered dietitian (RD) that performs elimination diets such as FODMAPS (fermentable oligo-, di-, and monosaccharides and polyols).  He or she will help you identify if you are sensitive to certain carbohydrates in foods making your symtpoms worse.  An RD can not only help you choose a diet that is tolerated, but one that meets your nutritional needs.  To find a dietitian new you, go to eatright.org.  This article provides more information on finding the right diet for IBS http://www.webmd.com/ibs/features/finding-right-diet-ibs  Good luck!