Q.

How long does imodium stay in your system

Due to the type of colon surgery I had I have chronic diarrhea sometimes. I was told I could take imodium prior to going out to meet friends for the day as a cautionary measure.

How long does imodium stay in your system?

Related Topics: Colon, Surgery, Diarrhea

A.

In adults, Imodium can be taken up to four times a day, for two days, for the managment of diarrhea. It will likely remain in your system for at least a half-day but the effects of this drug are not the same in all people. Some people require taking this medication after each loose bowel movement (up to four times a day), while others may not need such a high dose. Any beneficial response would likely be highly individualized.

If your surgeon recommended this medication for your particular condition, he/she would likely be the best source for a patient-specific recommendation.