Q.

I have a skin rash that looks like ringworm but isn't. Its red and very itchy and spreading everywhere. What can i do?

My breakout started with one bump on my thigh then a day later there were two on my upper body. Then all of a sudden, the next week, my whole upper body was covered in red, raised, and itchy bumps. I am into my second week with this and it is spreading to my face, all over my arms, and moving down my legs. I am not in pain but it is hard to deal with being itchy everywhere. I don't have any other symptoms.  If there was a way to know what I have? Just anything to help thank you.

Related Topics: Arm, Leg, Skin, Thigh, Rash

A.

Unfortunately, without the ability to actually see this skin eruption that you are describing, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to blindly offer an accurate diagnosis. A diagnosis is really essential when it comes to treatment. Knowing your medical history will also help solve this mystery rash.

Based solely on your description, this could be an allergic reaction, perhaps urticaria (hives). Hives are intensely itchy, comes on suddenly, and if the allergen is still in your midst, it can continue to persist/spread.

Regardless of the cause (which can be very challenging to find), the itchiness can be treated with an antihistamine, like diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or other over-the-counter medications in this class.

Seeing a medical provider is important, since many things can mimic hives.

A.

It could be from a plant or some kind of poison oak that you wern't aware of may be in your yard? some body's house, or being out in the woods, you have the same thing almost like I have going on with me. but mine is on my right inner thigh itchy raised dry rash. I'm just using over the counter anti-itch cream, good luck.