Q.

would a gluten-free diet be beneficial to a person with type-2 diabetes?

I have changed my diet considerably since being diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes, however I talked with several other type 2 diabetics that have gone to gluten free diet and they say they feel so much better, have less soreness in their feet and have more energy.  I am curious if I should try going gluten free or if I should discuss this with my doctor first.  Are there advantages of a gluten free diet for diabetics?

Related Topics: Type 2 Diabetes, Diabetes, Foot, Diet

A.
First, great job on taking steps to help control your diabetes through diet. It's not easy, and you should be congratulated for taking this step.

Gluten is a protein found in wheat and related grains (including spelt, barley, rye, and others). I don't know of any studies that look specifically at a gluten-free diet for diabetes management. Historically, people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance have needed to adopt a gluten-free lifestyle. Today, many people have decided to give gluten-free a try, whether for weight loss or to see if it helps conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome. These connections are still being investigated, and there's no conclusive scientific evidence yet that eating gluten-free is beneficial to anyone other than those with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.

If you do decide to try living a gluten-free lifestyle, remember you still need to get an adequate amount of fiber and whole grains in your diet. If you opt to eliminate wheat and related grains, you need to replace them with other whole grains, such as brown rice.

While there's no evidence that eating gluten-free aids in weight loss or is advantageous for any medical conditions beyond celiac disease, it's also not a harmful way to eat.

Hope this helps!