Q.

should a cook with an eye stye work

Related Topics: Eyes, Cooking

A.

Styes (hordeolum) are not contagious or infectious, like conjunctivitis (pink eye). They are really just inflamed oil-glands. Yes, these things can be very nasty-looking, but they do not pose any risk to customers. As long as the cook maintains a high-level of personal hygiene (hand washing, not trying to touch/squeeze these painful lesions), he is capable of working.

If the cook is in full-view of customers as he is preparing their meals, it could result in a few double-takes from people who may not understand the nature of styes. I work closely with children and babies every day. If I had a big stye, I would probably just stay home, apply some hot compresses, and wait for it to resolve. I pose no risk to the babies, but I would get tired of explaining my eye to parents.

WebMD
A.

In general, a stye is not contagious so it's not a problem for a cook to continue to work. As always, you would want to still practice good hand hygiene.

Here's a previous answer by Dr. Hoffman on this same issue:

http://answers.webmd.com/answers/1200084/are-styes-contagious