Q.

Is it normal to have excess gas and diarrhea/constipation every time my period occurs?

I am now 19, and just started birth control for the first time for about 2 months now. I've never had sex, its simply for acne and to regulate the timing of my menstration, since before I was on it I would not have my period for months(I was also a late, having my first period at 16.) Now that I'm on birth control I've seen changes that have never been there before. Such as hot flashes while on period, and excess gas/constipation/diarrhea during it also, which I never had a problem with before. 

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. It sounds like a difficult situation.

I'd recommend you go back to your gynecologist to discuss this situation. I can't think of any reason why you'd have gas, constipation, and diarrhea while on your period now, when you didn't before. Also, the hot flashes sound like a hormone issue. Your gynecologist will want to know about these symptoms in case your pills need to be changed. Because you've been on the pills only two months, it may be too early to tell if these symptoms will resolve on their own or not. But that's not really the issue. The issue is that you're experiencing new symptoms and you're concerned about them. That alone warrants a visit with your doctor.

I wish you all the best at getting this resolved!