Q.

What causes the cracks and splits on the ends of the fingers and what is the best way to treat?

Related Topics: Finger

A.
Split fingertips can be absolutely miserable! I'm sorry you're experiencing this.

Usually, these cracks and splits are caused simply by dry skin. These problems seem to be more prevalent in the winter, when the air is dry and we're washing our hands more often, which dries out the skin.

My absolute favorite treatment for split fingertips is Vitamin A & D ointment or cream. You can find this in the diaper rash aisle of any drugstore. A&D ointment is a very healing preparation.

Another thing you might try is a heavy, greasy moisturizing cream, such as "bag balm" or udder cream. These products usually can be found in the section of the store where the hand lotions are kept.

Lastly, try coating your fingertips with your chosen moisturizer right before bed, then putting on a pair of cotton gloves to sleep in. The gloves will keep the ointment on the fingers to do its job, plus they'll keep the sheets from getting all greasy.

I hope these tips give you some relief!