Q.

Do you have to eat oat meal every day to get the benefits?

Related Topics: Oatmeal, Meal

A.

I think you are referring to the heart health benefits of consuming.  The FDA recommends 3g of soluble fiber (beta glucan) daily to help reduce the risk of heart disease because it helps lower cholesterol.  One serving of oatmeal contains .75g and can help you get to three grams. Other foods that contain soluble fiber are cold cereals made from oats (e.g., cheerios), oat bran and barley.  You can also add oats to muffins and other baked goods.  So you don't have to eat oatmeal every day to get the benefits but it is a good way to get heart healthy soluble fiber in your diet.  For more on oats see this article http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-814-OATS.aspx?activeIngredientId=814&activeIngredientName=OATS

A.

Oatmeal has some very beneficial health benefits, but the idea of eating oatmeal every day could get very old and boring. I think the oatmeal companies would like you to do this, but there are many, many other ways to live a healthy lifestyle, eat a healthy diet, and lower your cholesterol than eating oatmeal every day....365 days a year.

For a healthy intervention to be sustainable, it must be something you can tolerated. If you love oatmeal...and want to eat it every day, go for it, but in my opinion, life is too short not to have variety and pleasure in our diets.