Q.

I have a ball / lump in my throat, just under ear and jaw bone, if i move it, or push on it, it hurts. What is this?

Looking in the mirror this morning I noticed a slightly raised bump, lump or ball, on the right side of my throat, it falls just below my right ear lobe, under my back right jaw line   It can be moved around, pushed on, or poked at.  If i touch it, there is some discomfort if i put slight pressure on it.  I don't have anything like this on my left side of throat.  What could this be? 

Related Topics: Ears, Jaw, Throat, Pressure, Lump

A.
It's impossible to say what this might be without performing a physical examination, unfortunately. There are many structures, such as lymph nodes and salivary glands, in the area you mention. These could become swollen and painful, or it could be something else entirely.

If this swelling doesn't clear up within a few days (or if you start to run a fever), it would be worth getting this checked out by a doctor. Any time there is swelling on one side of the body but not the other, you can't go wrong getting it checked. That said, just because you're experiencing unilateral swelling doesn't mean it's anything serious. Lymph nodes, for example, often become enlarged in one small area on a temporary basis and then return to normal size.

I hope this helps!