Q.

Why am I developing multiple food intolerances all of a sudden?

I'm a 54 year old female, and over the last 12 months have developed food intolerances to yeast (bakers and brewers), eggs, cinnamon, and soy, in addition to existing allergies to peanuts and shellfish.

Related Topics: Allergy, Peanut, Shellfish, Soy, Food

A.
I'm sorry to hear this. It's hard when we feel food choices are being taken away from us!

I'm glad to see you can differentiate between an intolerance (having an undesirable reaction) to a true allergy (hives, anaphylaxis, etc.). Big difference.

I wish I could tell you why these food intolerances seem to be coming on all at once. It's certainly worth getting the situation checked out by a doctor. I can tell you that it takes exposure to develop an intolerance or allergy, so perhaps your body just reached its exposure threshold with certain items and is now reacting badly to them. Here is some general information on food allergies and intolerance that might be helpful.

You might start with your primary care provider to see if he or she can provide any insight.

I wish you all the best!

A.

I am also 54 and female.  I cannot tolerate yeast, eggs, wheat, rice, and marjoram coming on also in the last year, in addition to existing intolerance to dairy and soy.  Those two came on when I was 40 and 41.  I always blamed the giardia infection I had when I was 30.  After scopes and xrays, my gastroenterologist says that my GI system is healthy!  If this helps - you are not alone!