Q.

Could I be allergic to the ingredients in Synthroid?

If I stop taking Benadryl, my eyes and the area around them get red and my skin itches all over. What can I do about this? Is there an alternative if I am allergic to one of the ingredients in Synthroid? Is the organic version of Synthroid safe? What other alternatives are there? I had thyroid cancer and had my thyroid removed, but have been cancer free for 3 years. I am lactose intollerant and am allergic to grasses.

A.
While it's extremely rare to be allergic to Synthroid (generic name levothyroxine), that doesn't mean it's impossible. Synthroid is a brand name. It contains certain binders and dyes that could conceivably cause an allergic reaction, even though this medication has been used safely by millions of people.

Rest assured, if it turns out you are allergic to something in Synthroid, there are plenty of other options for you. Generic versions of levothyroxine abound. Your health care provider certainly can let you try different preparations to see which one works for you without causing an allergic reaction.

However, it's also possible something else entirely is causing your problems. You should see your health care provider as soon as possible to try to determine what is causing your symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon!