Q.

I have Hidradenitis Suppurativa. I am looking treatment(s) of this condition.

I have tried systemic tetracyclines, birth control, and surgery ( Wide incision and subsequent secondary healing). All of these have been temporary fixes for a very painful diesase. My outbreaks have rapidly increased and the abscesses last for alot longer (sometimes weeks) then they use to and never seem to fully heal. I have extensive sinus tracks and eruption zones. This condition had been misdiagnosted for 10 years until it had progressed into stage III. Please help me!

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
I am so sorry to hear you're suffering with hidradenitis. It truly is one of the cruelest disorders out there.

Unfortunately, the only permanent treatment for this disease is surgery. This is because hidradenitis suppurativa is an infection of the sweat glands. The only way to permanently rid yourself of the abscesses is to surgically remove them.

When the abscesses are smaller and more superficial, they can be treated with antibiotics. However, as you've discovered, this disease can take cruel turns, with large outbreaks containing multiple sinus tracts that just won't heal. That's usually the point at which surgery becomes an option.

I'm sorry you were misdiagnosed for so long. I suggest you consult several plastic and reconstructive surgeons or general surgeons with significant experience dealing with hidradenitis over the long term. Unfortunately, many patients require several surgeries over the course of years, so finding a surgeon you "click" with is crucial.

I sincerely wish you all the best with this. When I worked as a plastic and reconstructive surgery nurse, I had the privilege of caring for a number of hidradenitis patients, so I honestly know what you're dealing with.