Q.

what does CMV stand for and how is it spread?

I am 16 wks pregnant and I'm concerned about CMV.  My husbands 18-year old cousin was born with this.  Is there a chance that I could catch this and pass it on to my baby? Is there any danger for my husband and I to be around his cousin during my pregnancy?

Related Topics: Pregnancy, Baby

Medical Editor, WebMD
A.

CMV stands for cytomegalovirus. It is a common virus although most people who become infected have no symptoms, some people may develop symptoms including fever, sore thoart, swollen glands, and fatigue. Some people are at increased risk for more serious disease from CMV. Those at risk include people with weakened immune systems and babies who are infected before birth.

CMV is typically spread through direct contact with body fluids such as saliva and urine. It can spread by sexual contact. Women who become infected during pregnancy can pass the infection to the fetus which can lead to disabilities.