Q.

How can I stop my dog from chewing wood?

My St Bernard keeps chewing the side of his dog house (made of wood), as well as almost anything made of wood,

how can I stop that? Is there a product I can put on the wood?

The side of the dog house (made of wood) is also painted.

Related Topics: Dog

WebMD
A.

I'm not a vet but I have 3 dogs and 3 cats so I'll weigh in based on personal experience. There are products that you can spray on wood that make it taste bad to dogs. It makes the wood taste very bitter. One product I can think of off the top of my head is called Bitter Apple. However, if it's a large area, that might not be possible. You could ask your local pet store what products they have to see if they have something that works for a larger area. I have had good luck with those products but the problem is you have to keep using them until your dog associates the bad taste with chewing the wood. Then, he may just turn to something else, so ultimately it might be worth finding a professional that works with behavioral issues with dogs to get some pointers and try to get to the bottom of what might be causing him to chew.