Q.

food poisoning? consumed 9 day old sliced corned beef (deli), had not checked date on previously opened bag.

Within 6 hours, extreme chills, shaking of trunk and arms.  No fever.  In bed with lots of blankets, still could not get warm.  after 3 hours, diarrhea.

shaking continued for 3 more hours, then finally sleep.

Next day, achey, sore, all muscles in trunk and arms. diarrhea all day.

Food Poisoning?  I can't find where chills are mentioned.  Thank you.

Related Topics: Diarrhea, Food Poisoning

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer
Sorry to hear you went through that. It sounds awful!

This definitely could have been a case of food poisoning. Many packaged meats (including those from a deli) contain quite a few preservatives, but the meat still could have gone bad after nine days.

Abdominal cramps, diarrhea, nausea, chills, fever, headache and weakness all can be signs of food poisoning. The exact symptoms relate to the type of germ causing the food poisoning. Also, symptoms from the most common types of food poisoning usually start within 2 to 6 hours of consuming the contaminated food, so your symtpoms match up with that timeframe.

Except for infants,children, the elderly, pregnant women, or those with compromised immune systems, most people don't require treatment for food poisoning. It should go away on its own within a couple of days. The best thing to do is drink plenty of water and allow the diarrhea to flow. You want to let those bad germs get out of your body. If the diarrhea continues for more than three days, it may be time to try an over-the-counter anti-diarrhea medication or consult a health care provider.

I hope you're feeling better by now! You probably won't want any corned beef for awhile.