Q.

Can a fall cause Ulnar Nerve pain from the shoulder to the hand?

I am a 64 year old female.  I fell 3 weeks ago, landing on my right knee and both hands, mainly on the right.  I am having gradually increasing pain in my right shoulder, along my arm, through the elbow, and into my hand, along the outer edge into the pinky and ring finger. 

Related Topics: Arm, Elbow, Hand, Ring Finger, Shoulder

A.
Ouch! Oh, I'm so sorry you're going through this.

The symptoms you're describing do sound like ulnar nerve pain, particularly the pain to the pinky finger. That's kind of a hallmark.

The fact the pain is increasing, not decreasing, over the course of three weeks means it's time for a trip to the doctor. Despite the manner in which you fell, it's possible you broke a bone in your arm or suffered a soft tissue injury to an elbow tendon or ligament.

The reason to get a physical examination (and maybe an X-ray) is to get treated earlier (when the prognosis is better), rather than later (when the prognosis is worse).

While this isn't an emergency, you definitely deserve to be seen by your primary care provider to diagnose what is going on and make sure you don't have any hidden fractures, either in your arms or your legs.

I wish you all the best with this!