Q.

What are the treatment options for low estrogen levels in a young woman?

I have had depression for the past 10 months and always felt that it was hormonal. About a month ago, I got diagnosed with an ovarian cyst and it got me thinking that I should get my hormone levels tested to see if that was the cause of my depression. I got a saliva hormone test done and the results showed that I had menopausal levels of estrogen (i'm only 21!). Are saliva hormone tests acurate? What are my treatment options? Should I share my results with my doctor and see what she thinks?

Related Topics: Cyst, Ovary, Estrogen, Vision, Hormone

WebMD
A.

The low estrogen level could be the result of stress hormones on the brain and not early menopause. Depression can cause alterations in the complex interaction of hormones that result in monthly periods.

Restoring balance into your life by treating depression might be all you need to regularize your periods. Yet, other hormones should also be analyzed. Simple blood or urine test are needed to determine whether this is the result of depression or something directly hormonal.... Premature Ovarian Failure, Elevated Prolactin levels, Thyroid disease etc  

Occasionally, more specialized stimulation test are needed, as is a referral to a hormone specialist such as an Endocrinologist or Reproductive Endocrinologist.

For now, protecting your bones is utterly important until a definite diagnosis is made. A diet rich in Calcium , Vitamin D and estrogen are considerations to prevent bone loss and restore periods.  Birth control is an option given your age, but a more intensive evaluation is needed first .