Q.

what causes sudden dark brown urine in men?

My husband recently had a kidney stone went to the hospital...he was told he had many stones left in his kidneys. he asked me if I had had diarrhea (thinking we ate something bad) within last week or so..he is having abdominal pain again, this time he went to the bathroom, urinated & it was dark brown like coffee..he has not had this before..what are the possible causes of this..we have not eaten anything like rhubarb, or dark greens and only had one cup of coffee this morning as usual..help!

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

If your husband has known kidney stones and suddenly gets brown urine, tis is most likely due to blood (older hydrolyzed blood; not the bright red blood seen in a fresh bleed). This could indicate the movement of a stone into the bladder or anywhere in the urinary tract, including the kidney. Stones cause inflammation, and inflammation can result in bleeding.

He needs to see his urologist again, or at least have the urologist order a urinalysis.

Other causes of dark brown, tea-like urine would be hepatitis, but because of his stone history, this would be highest on the list.

A.
So sorry to hear about the kidney stones and now this weird new symptom. It's always disconcerting when our body fluids change color!

Your husband should see his doctor as soon as possible. Dark brown urine can be a sign of liver malfunction, which could be caused by several things including medications. Before you head for the doctor's office, take note of the color and quality (firm, loose, etc.) of your husband's stools. This information will help your doctor more quickly rule out possible causes for the brown urine.

Meanwhile, your husband probaby should avoid consuming alcohol or acetaminophen (Tylenol), just in case he's having an issue with his liver. If he has been prescribed a narcotic pain reliever such as oxycodone-APAP, he should weigh whether or not he can get along without it, since "APAP" is shorthand for acetaminophen. If you have any questions about whether any of his prescriptions contain acetaminophen, you can speak to a pharmacist for clarification.

I wish you all the best!