Q.

what can I expect after stopping Lexapro and Adderall for BiPolar cold turkey after 15 yrs

I have taken many different perscription cocktails over the years for BiPolar but Adderall and Lexapro are my current meds. I do not have insurance, and am  a single mom with two children. I cant afford the medicines and could not have them refilled so I have been off everything for 3 weeks. I have been experiencing some slight mood swings but nothing serious. I have tried to "talk myself through them" and have made it thus far.

Just trying to be aware and cautious.  

Thanks for your help.

A.
I'm sorry to hear financial concerns have affected your ability to obtain the medications you need for your bipolar condition. I'd urge you to speak to your local Medicaid office to see if you can qualify for health care assistance.

That said, I admire the fact you're being "aware and cautious." It's great you haven't experienced any major symptoms after three weeks of going off the meds, but as you know with bipolar, a serious mood swing can occur at any time. To prepare for this possibility, I suggest you write down the telephone number of a crisis hotline so you can get help if you need it. Also write down the office number of the doctor who was treating you before you went off the meds. Even though you don't have insurance now, if you find yourself in crisis, it would be a good idea to inform your doctor.

Of course, if you experience any thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself, please call 911 immediately.

I wish you all the best.

A.

I worked in a doctor office for 14 years and helped patients that can afford their meds. Check with your family doctor. the have a program out there called patient assistance program. you might want to look on the internet for information. It helped a lot of patient's out there.. Give it a try.....