Q.

How harmful is smoking 1-3 cigarettes a day (less than a pack a week) compared to smoking more than 10 cigarettes a day?

Is there such a thing as "less harmful smoking qty" i.e. few (1-3) cigarettes a day, say after a meal or with a cup of coffee etc.... I have been at that level of smoking for the last 3 years now knowing the I smoked regularly (more than 10 a day) for a period of 25 years until the age of 40. I am now 52 and generally healthy, eat extra healthy diet and excercise regularly. Is moderate smoking something to really worry about?
Related Topics: Coffee, Exercise, Smoking, Diet, Meal

Best Answer 
A.
Most Helpful Answer

Yes, moderate smoking is still harmful. That is like asking how much poison should I take every day before it becomes harmful.  You are nearly a non-smoker, so why not just go all the way and stop completely?  Stopping things that you enjoy are difficult, I know, but in the case of cigarettes, there are really no safe limits.  Secondary smoke and even third-hand smoke has been found to be harmful, so even a pack a week is going to cause problems over time.

Clearly, the more cigarettes that you smoke, the worse your risk becomes. While you are pleased to have cut down our 1/2 pack a day habit to a pack a week, you need to do your body one more favor by stopping altogether. You can do it.

A.

I feel like Smoking is not all that Different from any other Health Issue too much fatty meats is bad for your Cholesterol. Causing your arteries to clog then you get a heart attack then you Die!!! So now you have to stop eating the foods you like!! There is also the too much sugar or sodium gives you diabetes along with other diseases/deficiencies also Shortening your lifespan so now you cant have salty or sweet foods that you like!!! So with my brilliant brain i came up with a conclusion and its not rocket science its common sens that a lot of you lack and this is that too much of everything is bad for you for one second forget about Smoking being bad and think of this for Example you go to the beach with your family you Bring Sunblock very common product to bring to the beach and to apply on yourself. The purpose of this Chemically Engineered Lotion or oil is to black UV rays from you getting badly burnt by them and to avoid you getting Skin cancer so in your eyes its a good product Wrong!! did you ever think of what long term effect this chemical product will do once it seeps in through your pores and into your body through the course of time of course not!! and the truth is that 100% of the products you buy and apply on your skin and consume are all not safe Chemicals and are not grown or raised naturally!! so everything you use kills you!!  i am a smoker and i like smoking i smoke a pack in 4 days making me a light smoker and i am very aware of what smoking does to your health but i feel that if i enjoy it and i dont abuse it cuz too much of anything is bad for you! so i decided i should just smoke!! same goes for the fatty meats, Sweets and Salty foods :) Enjoy life dont put all these restrictions on yourself  just have to remember not to push it its all about the right dosage :)