Q.

I am hungry all the time, no matter what or how much I eat. What could be causing this?

I am not on a diet, although I try to eat healthy foods, lots of veggies and no "snack foods" I get plenty of sleep at night, but I still feel tired all day. My life is not highly stressful. No matter how much I eat in a meal, or how often I eat, I'm hungry constantly, even immediately after eating.

Related Topics: Hunger, Snack, Food, Meal, Healthy Eating

A.

It sounds like your diet may be out of balance.  Make sure to include 3-5 food groups with main meals and 2-3 with snacks (lean protein, whole grains, fruit, vegetables, dairy, healthy fats).  For example, a salad with veggies and dressing includes vegetables and healthy fats but that alone is usually not enough to keep you full.  So add a protein source to it (beans/chicken) and round it a piece of whole grain bread and a side of yogurt.

The goal is to include foods with a high satiety value, meaning they take longer to digest and keep you fuller longer.  Here are some ways to increase the satiety power of your meals:

• Make sure most of your meals have a source of protein.  Protein is the most filling of the macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein and fat).  So include nuts on your cereal, a boiled egg or chicken on salads and build your dinner meals around a lean protein source.
  • Include healthy fats with your meals.  Fat also helps to slow digestion and is satisfying.  Try chopped avocado on salads, nuts topped on yogurt and veggies sauteed in olive oil.  A healthy fat source at every meal will increase satisfaction.
  • Fiber-rich foods are also filling.  Include fruits and veggies with meals (as you have), whole grains, beans/legumes and nuts and seeds.
  • While it's great to eat healthy, make sure you eat meals you enjoy that also taste good.  That include sweets in moderation.  A small piece of dark chocolate or cookie after a meal can increase satisfaction and help keep cravings at bay.

Keep trying different things until you find meals that are not only healthy but satisfying.

A.

I am not an expert and am only answering from my own experience.  Even back to when I was younger, I can remember always being hungry and always eating.  People used to comment on how much I ate and that I didn't gain an ounce.  I also try to eat healthy and love vegetables.  Two years ago I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia- low blood sugar- not due to diabetes.  Especially around the time of my period my blood sugar is hard to control.  I feel like I'm starving and of course crave chocolate!  I usually give in and then that starts a viscious cycle with my blood sugars.  I try to have a variety of vegetables, fruits, cheeses, peanut butter and whole grain snacks (wheat thins, triscuits, etc) on hand.  So if you are feeling the signs- shaky, dizzy, weak, grouchy, feel like you could eat a freakin' cow LOL!.... you may want to have your blood sugars tested.

A.
You say that you sleep all night and are still tired the next day.  I had this problem for years and it turned out that I have sleep apnea.  Sleep apnea interferes with REM sleep and though it seems that you sleep all night you are waking up a lot. 
Sleep deprivation due to sleep apnea  or for any other reason can cause an imbalance in leptin and grehlin.  These hormones affect appetite.  I would eat a big supper and in an hour I was physically hungry again and wanting to eat another full meal.  I gained 15 pounds in about 3 months before I got treatment for the apnea. You might ask your doctor to assess you for sleep apnea or other sleep problems.  

A.
You could have low blood sugar or low blood pressure. You might need to go to the doctor for some blood tests. Also, i have the same problem too. The doctor told me it could be my medication for my thyroid condition.

A.

How are you doing with your issue?

I feel like this is really rare and you probably would know by now if you have this. Prader-Willi Syndrome will give you an unsatisfiable craving for food (if you are born with this you will have had this eating problem your whole life).